Saturday, October 22, 2011

Oraymw's INN Draft #2






I jumped into my second Innistrad draft, and ended up with this beauty. This is possibly the most fun deck that I have ever drafted; it felt like I was playing EDH instead of limited.

There are a few neat little combos in there. First of all, it wasn’t hard at all to turn on the Stitched Drakes. Between the Armored Skaabs and the Deranged Assitants, I could always cast the drakes in a timely fashing.

Second was the awesome interaction between Cackling Counterpart and Stitched Drake. Once you play the Stitched drake, you get an instant speed 3/4 flyer for 1UU, and then you can flash it back again at 5UU. Nothing did more work for me than that.

Third is Back from the Brink. I was worried about it, since removing guys from my yard doesn’t interact well with the Stitched Drake, but it’s actually a wash, since playing the Drakes with Back from the Brink doesn’t require exiling anything. Basically, it draws every creature in your graveyard when you play it, and then it turns all future creatures into two-for-ones. I had to play it carefully to make sure I could survive the resulting board position, but from then on, Back from the Brink completely dominated the board.

Fourth is the interaction between Civilized Scholar and either Back from the Brink or Cackling Counterpart. Copies of flip cards cannot transform, but they can untap. This means that if I had a token Civilized Scholar, I could tap him, discard a creature, untap him, and repeat as needed. This could me running through my deck until I found removal, or it could mean drawing as many creatures as I wanted and then playing them from the graveyard with Back from the Brink.

The one thing I would change about the deck is to change the Corpse Lunge for the other Sensory Deprivation.

Well, there you go! Let me know what you think in the comments.


3 comments:

  1. P1P7 - I'm valuing the Walking corpse much higher than normal bears because of his 2 drop status. I take him here, but that's because I have yet to have the apprentice be amazing for me. I realize he's good, I just haven't seen it yet.
    P1P8 - After Marshall's last video I'm valuing the scarecrow a little higher, so I consider it over the moonmist here... but ultimately I take the moonmist.
    P2P2 - I take the Mayor, but that's because he's a rare and he's splashy. I like your reasoning, and you also don't have a ton of werewolves yet.
    P2P3 - CLEARLY taking the crows was the right call... ;)
    P3P1 - I definitely take the silent departure, but that's because I still can't imagine I love playing the invisible stalker. Even though I will lose to it, it still seems like it's a mulligan if I don't draw my equipment. And the equipment is not really what I want to be doing if I don't draw it. Tell me where my thinking is wrong here?
    P3P3 - Colorless removal is great, but right now I value the Deranged assistant pretty highly. The two drop slot is pretty hard to find, and it is one of (if not THE) only cards that lets you hit a turn 3 Drake. Also, I think ramp is going to end up being really important.
    P3P4 - Ok... so what do I know. But, two is better than 1... right?
    P3P7 - :-0.
    P3P11 - turns out I'm a moron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And... I got smashed by zvazda in our post draft casual game. He must be smarter than me... I probably would have beaten him if I'd take the Silent Departure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P2P5: Is the Bat better than the Battleground Geist? I have a hard time comparing them.

    Otherwise, I like your choices and agree with them, although there are a few hard picks :) Stacked 3-drop slot indeed!

    ReplyDelete