Monday, March 5, 2012

Zvazda's DII Draft #1

A very interesting draft here gang and my first DII draft.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=34ui2



Suuuuper tough deck build.  Marshall said he takes out the Island, reap and Silent departure for Altar's reap and chant.  Those help out my charmbreaker devils, but you don't really want to be getting back Altar's reap with a charmbreaker devils.  Maybe my build was too greedy here, and two U sources is a little odd, but I really wanted to be hitting black (bloodline keeper) and needed to hit my red two drops early.  Do you get greedy, or do you keep it easy?

The Matches:

R1G1 - We both stumbled on mana a little, but when I finished I had a bloodline keeper.  He was able to Make a Wish to lucksack into a prey upon... but I had a ghoulcaller's chant in hand and was able to get him back.  I had to spend my next turn morkrut bansheeing his avacyn's pilgrim so that he couldn't use his Gavony Township and then could drop my bloodline keeper the following turn.  I trade my banshee for his darkthicket wolf and the board state resolves itself like this:



He drops an ironsmith and I drop a ghoul.  He drops a juggernaut and I draw a charmbreaker devils.  I attack him to 8 with my vampire token and drop a charmbreaker devils.

He slams in with everything and blocks go like this:


After the smoke clears... I'm at 10 and he's at 8.  I can attack for 7 in the air and flash back fires for the win... so I have to assume he sees this and that he has a trick.  Reap comes back from my charmbreaker devils so I make the choice to cast reap, and force him to trade off his juggy if he does have a trick.  He has a spidery grasp, which kills my keeper.  The devils trades for juggernaut and I put him to 4.  I flash back fires to kill his pyreheart wolf (and cast two spells!) which flips back his two werewolves.  He draws for his turn and concedes.  Needless to say, this game was intense and I felt very proud that I played around spidery grasp correctly, even though it meant sacrificing my Bloodline Keeper and my Charmbreaker Devils!

M1G2 - This game was less exciting because after he got stuck on two lands... I fires of undeath'd his pilgrim I drop bloodline keeper, (he fails to attack into it with his 2/2's which is a mistake).  Then I drop my charmbreaker devils for infinite fires and he snap concedes.

Modo is awesome and I lost all of my other replays so you guys are spared my writeups...  But there was an awesome game where I raced a stormbound geist and invisibile stalker, on the final turn getting to cultist and tragic slip his two blockers and attack for exactsies.

I end up going 3-0 (for the first time in FAR too long)

LISTEN ALONG WITH ZACH


Today I listened to Burn to Shine by Ben Harper and a double album of Gilbert and Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance/ Trial By Jury


6 comments:

  1. P1P3: Slam that Pyreheart, in my opinion. It's really, really good.

    P1P5: I think I take the Evolving Wilds here.

    P1P7: Hermit here, even more so if you had the wolf.

    P1P8: Fiends is also better with wolf. I think I like Fiends better, here.

    P1P12: I think I take Scorch as a sideboard card and as signalling since I actually am in red.

    P1P13: Here I take the Talons for signal purposes I think.

    P2P1: I actually think the juggernaut would be better if you were R/B, strange as it sounds. It's more aggressive and that's what you want.

    P2P3: I actually have the impression that your deck (or the deck that I would have picked so far) wants interlopers. But yours probably doesn't.

    P2P5: No, I like the Ravings here.

    P2P6: Not by a lot, but Markov is probably best here.

    P3P2: I like the temblor here, if you're a controlling deck with BV, Keeper and Devils as your win-cons.

    P3P7: I probably take the second temblor to be honest.

    P3P11: I think I take Maw as the sideboard tech here. If you are as controlling as I think, delaying and opponent and gaining life in the process is probably even okay.

    Don't know if my advice is worth anything here. Congrats on the 3-0!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p1p3- agree, the pyre wolf is soooome good
    p1p5- tough between the torturer and the wilds. wilds can be good even in a two color build if not to just thin your deck from lands.
    p1p6- BR's most common inevitable tribe is vamps. you just took a vamp, and a flayer before him (remember the chose IS a human). i do like highborn ghoul, but chosen has more potential seeing how everything else you've picked up to now reads BR vamps
    p1p7- prolly would've taken the hermit. its a fine early drop and trades with most. better than exploring blue at this point imo
    p2p3- why no interloper love? the prior pick is understandable, but when you're not taking anything else, i think taking early drops really helps
    p2p4- nobody wants to pass a 4th pick silent departure (or invisible stalker, OR sturmgeist). i'd like to imagine i'd have stayed disciplined, but i wouldve probably ended up picking the same as you.
    p2p5- nahh, tribute here
    p2p8- since you did take the silent departure, i understand this pick
    p2p9- fury?
    p3p8- wow what a gift! cultist in your last new pack


    i agree with marshall, dont include blue. not getting enough benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yo. I made comments about your draft on raredraft. (will drop them here in future).

    One main gripe I have about your draft is that you forgot you had a flayer. It makes picks like ironsmith over rig much easier (as you want more humans).

    I think you would have been well served moving into white in pack 2 but you can only really say that with hindsight.

    Other than that it seems fine. There were a few picks that I think were incorrect but in general i think you got it. Also your comments about curve considerations were totally valid. I think this format often revolves heavily around two drops so passing a card like torch for ashmouth hound is actually great.

    peas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments gang, very helpful.

    Re: taking Blue cards at some point, I still wasn't entirely sure I was going to be red as a main second color, so I was dabbling when I wasn't passing up anything good.

    Re: Interloper. Interloper is just not what I want to be doing when I want to be blocking and trading. Interloper is awesome in Aggro decks, but after a P1P2 charmbreaker devils I'm a more controlling, grindy BR deck.

    Thanks for the comments about the humans and flayers... totally missed those.

    Also, should have taken the tribute P2P5. Totally right.

    Jono, are you a limited resources listener? Or you just found the blog by accident?

    ReplyDelete
  5. lr clan member and listener. (vispaste on modo. add me). You are right about interloper but even when you are a control deck a t2 clock is still a t2 clock. I wouldnt take it over key cards for your deck but when its between interloper and something arb then you go for the interloper.

    also tribute gets better the more removal you have as you are more likely to be able to get something solid off of it if you have a ton of removal in your deck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. P1P2 – Great pick here. As good as Mondronen Shaman is, Tragic Slip is just better.

    P1P3 – I agree that this is a close pick, but I think you made the right one.

    P1P5 – I agree that Evolving Wilds is probably the better pick here. I usually think of the Torturer as a BW card, more than a BR card.

    P1P9 – It’s worth considering going BWr here.

    P2P1 – Charmbreaker Devil’s is just one of the better cards in the set. Easily the best card here.

    P2P4 – Maybe Scourge, but your five drop slot is pretty full already, so I can understand this pick.

    P2P5 – Actually, this is probably better as a Tribute to Hunger, even though that is probably the least exciting thing.

    P3P1 – Sure… just open a Bloodline Keeper.

    P3P2 – Tough choice. I actually like Rolling Temblor better than most lately. I’ve just seen it do so much work. But it is definitely much worse in your deck.

    P3P3 – I think that you are probably more worried about the Darkthicket Wolf than the Prey Upon, so hate drafting it is probably for the best. You could also play Maw of the Mire… I know it’s terrible, but it actually is slightly better than unplayable alongside Charmbreaker Devils.

    P3P6 – Definitely the right pick here.

    P3P7 – Fine pick again. You need some dudes.


    I like the Blue splash deck, but I also like the Vampire Interloper + Ghoulcaller’s Chant. The blue splash means you have tools vs. early decks, but you are also more likely to fumble on your mana. But the chant is also pretty good with your bombs and Banshees, so I think it might just be the right call here.

    ReplyDelete