Thursday, September 15, 2011

Zvazda's M12 #11



This deck ended up a little spotty, but ultimately where I felt it would be pretty good.  I SURE wish I had that incinerate that I misclicked in.  The gameplan was to let quad looters get us to our dragon and grim lavamancer, and sometimes this worked and sometimes it didn't.  I feel like the deck was better than it's 1-2 record, but c'est la vie.

I wish I had maindecked the Cancel over the Tunneler and sided it in almost every match.  Sometimes I sided in the alluring siren instead.

M1G1 - he gets stuck on two lands and our deck performs beautifully to punish him.  Lavamancer into looter, into a bunch of stuff no one cares about... into Volcanic Dragon.  The best feeling was redirecting his last ditch fling effort to try to kill my lavamancer but instead 3 for 1ing him!

M1G2 - This game his draw was pretty clunky with stuff that doesn't affect the board (circle of flames and whatnot).  We get out our fleetwing with a greatsword on him.  After that our manaleaks hold the board for three turns to put him at 5.  He plays a stingerfling spider... and we luckily topdeck frost breath for the win!

M2G1 - This game I might have punted because I played my frost breath during my mainphase like an idiot.    The extra turn might not have been important, but it certainly didn't help!  Also, him O-ringing my dragon was pretty bad.

M2G2 - This game we won thanks to a timely unsummon into cancel for his sengir vampire.  He played his second vamp, but we frost breath (End of HIS TURN this time) for the win.

M2G3 - I had a pretty rough hand: looter and two five drops.  He exploded and punished me for keeping the hand and I couldn't stabilize before I died.

M3G1 - Got lost :'(.

M3G2 - He stabilized with an Aegis angel to stop my fliers from being lethal.  I probably win this game if I had attacked with my looters more times earlier in the game instead of looting.  I'm not sure if it was the right call to have done so, though?

LISTEN ALONG WITH ZACH


Music for Two Pianos - Aaron Copland  - I'd never listened to this album which was a mistake as it was absolutely divine.

Stephen Sondheim's Company in Jazz - the Trotter Trio - Stephen Sondheim is a giant in Musical Theatre with an amazing command over classical techniques and harmonic language not seen very often in Musical Theatre.  The Trotter Trio takes his songs and puts them in a jazz forum.  Quite simply, these albums rock.  This one isn't as good as Sweeney Todd, IMHO, but still great.

Best that I could do - John Mellancamp - Selected Tracks

Joshua Tree - U2

3 comments:

  1. P1P1: Skinshifter is definitely the pick here.

    P1P3: Really, Roc Egg? That card is SO defensive. I think I would have taken the Trollhide, it's green and fits the Skinshifter pretty well :)

    P1P5: Veteran isn't too hot, Arbalast barely better. They are okay, but nothing great. Staying on colour is right here.

    P1P6: How about Ponder? You're in Blue, and smoothing draws is powerful. Also, Greatsword is not worth 6th-picking.

    P1P8: It's not a late Surge, it's a late Looter! How can it still be there!?

    P1P10: Mind Unbound! Green has Enchantment destruction, you can play this for massive refueling on the top of the curve.

    P2P1: Ugh, hard pick. In the end, you probably did the right thing because of the Looters.

    P2P2: Shock? Or Looter? Definitely not Archivist.

    P2P3: Another Looter? Perhaps Ogre or Hunter's Insight.

    P2P4: Incinerate!!! What were you doing? :P

    P2P7: I guess Azure Mage is the right pick but you just NEED some victory conditions soon. Perhaps the Amulet?

    P2P9: Pick a creature! The Thief is fine, almost all decks play an artifact or two.

    P2P11: Hunter's Insight this time around, then! You're in Blue, fliers aren't too much of a problem.

    P2P12: No, you picked right. Divination does nothing in your deck, the Gorger is a big dude that can win the game in the old-fashioned way.

    P3P1: Ugh, another 5-drop? I guess, but I'd almost consider the Bear here.

    P3P2: Birds!

    P3P3: And Rampant Growth! Think of the Lavamancer :P

    P3P5: The Sentinel is an okay dude, I'd consider it a nice pick.

    P3P6: Maybe that's right, but there's also an Arsonist and a Ponder in that pack...



    As for attacking early: Perhaps a good idea with so few finishing cards, but otherwise it's almost always smart to loot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The archivist pick was thinking that I with a ton of looters I would be able to pick up some Jace's Erasures... but this was the draft where I saw none of them. I was hoping for the mill strategy.

    I don't think of the Amulet as a win-con... do you?

    I don't really think about hunters insight or mind unbound as playable and need to up it in my estimation instead of using my mental shortcut... Thanks for the comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Amulet is not a Win-Con, no. I don't think it's very playable due to the tempo of the format, but just when M12 came out I was pretty excited about it because you can keep it up and see if Villain attacks into it... Arguably not a good use of a card.

    ReplyDelete