Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Zvazda's M12 10

So, this draft had a very (underwhelming) tough first pick, but from there most of the draft was straightforward I think.





Deckbuilding was fairly straightforward the only thing I'm questioning here is the Siege Mastodon over Lava Axe.  That extra 5 damage can be huge if you can't push through.

R1G1 - this game was a straightforward beatdown, Turn 2 pegasus, turn 3 veteran, outrage his child of night so he can't race, drop tunneler, tunneler gets the veteran in for three, boots on the tunneler so he can't kill it he burns the veteran instead, make the pegasus unblockable, incinerate ftw.

R1G2 - this was a little tougher.  He turn 2'd an unbloodthirsted berseker, into a Bloodrage ogre.  I pegasused, into warhorse, into arbalest elite... at which point he untapped and fireballed our pegasus which I considered to be a serious error because the Arbalest Elite was going to completely shut him down.  The boots were an allstar here coming down the next turn and protecting our arbalest for a turn.  Hasty pegasus into hasty crumbling colossus =gg.

R2G1 - Our beatdown was shutdown by a Siege Mastadon, Grand Abolisher and Alabaster Mage.  The abolisher completely shut down our arbalest elite and we probably win this game if we had drawn a second mountain for our outrage before 5 turns had gone by.

R2G2 - we were looking good, until we ran into celestial purge, double pacifism and double deathmark every time we tried to stabilize.  And we had to use our incinerate on his spirit mantled duskhunter bat instead of the grand abolisher.

R3 was a bye.


LISTEN ALONG WITH ZACH
Listen along with Zach was on hold for this draft due to my buddy drafting over my shoulder.  It'll be back next draft though, fear not!  (also, for those of you who may not know, Jonathan Coulton's new album came out out on September 2nd.  I just purchased it and haven't listened to it yet, but I highly suggest that if you're familiar with JoCo's work you download it and if you're not... get familiar with it!)

A final moderation note, so far response and traffic to the blog has been excellent.  Most importantly, the comments have been exactly the respectful and insightful thoughts that I expected from limited resources members, so thanks for being awesome guys!


3 comments:

  1. Quick question - would it be possible to post screen shots of a 4 pack sealed M12 Swiss Tournament with opened cards and then choices made with regard to how the deck is built and the mana base is structued? I would love to get some feedback on actually constructing a deck in that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I don't see any problem with that! Make sure you include a write-up with your decisions and questions, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P1P7: I would have taken the Piker here... Tunneler isn't really a Bloodthirst card, it's more of a combo card (w. Fiery Hellhound).

    P1P9: Definitely the Elemental. It's pretty good and you have no reason to suspect the Serpent will be useful/annoying.

    P1P14: You should've taken the Elixir even if you won't play it, I think...

    P2P1: I think Automaton is the right pick here - Shock is fine, but Automaton is pretty great and goes in any deck, basically...

    P2P5: I disagree with this pick. I don't think that great of the Horse, and its cost isn't exactly charming when you have some great red cards like Gorehorn and Incinerate. I think I would've taken the Hellhound (since you have a Tunneler) or the Slaughter Cry.

    P2P6: Stave Off here, definitely.

    P3P1: Close, very close. With your picks so far, HotP is probably right, but if you had picked like I would have, I think the Berserker fits better.

    P3P2: Surge and Stave Off are both better here, I think. I dislike the Vanguard. Having a T1 hitter is good to enable thirsty dudes though.

    P3P5: I might've taken the Act of Treason here...

    P3P7: I guess... But I actually consider the Red Aura a fine pick here...

    P3P8: You're not going to play Sceptre? Hating when there are playables isn't too hot, in my opinion. There is another good Blue card left here, so you might not accomplish a lot here.

    P3P11: I dunno, I think the Goblin is fine. I dislike Fling but then again you have the Colossus...

    ReplyDelete