Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Zvazda - M12 7




Well, the problem is that it looks like an aggressive deck with the exception of that sphinx there.  I did end up siding in the two stingerflings instead of the incinerate against the flier.dek.  I don't have my game log in front of me, but I think I did end up running into a grave titan in one of my rounds, which explained the sudden cut off of black.

This deck 1-2'd, though I can't remember why.  When I have access to my MTGO client again, perhaps I'll go look at some replays and see if I can find any errors I made or if I just drew bad.  Also, the deck wasn't that great and I never resolved my sphinx (and only drew it once).

And finally, should it be of interest to anyone I've decided to keep a record of music that I listen to during the draft.  While I'm drafting I put my I-pod on random albums.  My music collection consists of entirely full albums (I don't have any single songs), but sometimes the full album doesn't make it onto my I-pod and it's just tracks from my favorites list.  If the full album didn't make it on, then I'll just say "selected tracks"

The Dvorak Cello concerto played by Jacqueline Du Pre (on the album she also plays the saint-saens cello concerto for those who are listening along at home :). )

The Ultimate experience - Jimi Hendrix - Selected tracks

Kojak Variety  - Elvis Costello.  As a huge Elvis Costello fan, and proud owner of his complete discography... I can say that this is my least favorite album of his.

And finally Matthew Morrison's solo album.  Television fans will know him from Glee, but Musical Theatre fans know him from Hairspray and The Light in the Piazza.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Smerle from LR clan here. First, thanks for the cool blog! May have to ship some drafts to you (won my first swiss last night).

    Pretty weird draft, signal wise. I would've pulled my hair out on that P1p3 choice but think I would have gone Minotaurs as that would've given a good chance to get red having just taken Incinerate and Outrage with nothing else really passed, then gone with black (Digger P1p5). Red looked open in P2p2 with Dragon and another Minotaurs too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my first comment going through a number of picks got eaten, so I'll post a more concise version.

    I think the biggest flaw in this draft is that you probably shouldn't have gone into U in the first place, and certainly shouldn't have stuck with it over R in the second pack.

    I don't like the Sphinx P1P3. It's not that much better than Minotaurs (7 mana is a lot). It also play hell with your signals, since you're now passing excellent cards in both your colors, and someone is going to get either a Minotaurs or an Adept 5th. Sphinx also sends you toward control, and UR is much better at playing an aggressive tempo game than a controlling one. In UR I'd rather have an Aether Adept than a Sphinx.

    I don't get why you write off Red in P2P2. Aside from the Sphinx, you saw 0 U cards P1, and Sphinx is your only good card in U. You can't even really expect to get hooked up this pack since someone got at least a 4th pick, maybe a 5th pick Aether Adept, so is going to be cutting you after the first couple packs. I think if you had taken the Minotaurs here and gone BR, you could have had a much stronger deck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments guys:

    I agree that the sphinx pick was blinded by raredrafting and wanting to play the big card. And i n retrospect the Minotaurs was probably the pick.

    I wrote off Red in P2P2 because after passing a 2nd pick volcanic dragon and a 4th pick minotaurs I expected to get not very many Red cards in this pack. (I have no idea why I said for the comments P2P1 that I expected to get sweet red cards this pack.) As we can see by the rest of the pack, there were NO red cards to be had.

    Also, I don't consider a second pick dragon and minotaurs to be a signal. Any second pick can be a fluke, I'm assuming something like fireball was taken out of that pack.

    Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you're getting passed in pack 1 is generally more important than what you're passing. Sure, you know that you probably won't see much Red P2, but you probably won't see much more U either. And you can completely write off seeing any U at all in P3, while R should be pretty open there.

    So you'll probably see more R than U, and you've already got several good R cards, and only one good U card, meaning that you need to get passed a lot of U for it to be worthwhile. It's perfectly fine to acknowledge that you won't see much R pack 2, but the black should be flowing and that you'll make up for it in P3.

    ReplyDelete