Sunday, February 19, 2012

LOBSTER667's DKA Draft



Dark Ascension's kicked off with the online prerelease drafts, and I bit the pricy bullet and gave triple Dark Ascension draft a shot! I have to say, it's an extremely interesting format when you take into account that it's three packs of the same small set. I enjoyed it a lot and I'm looking forward to the more reasonably priced queues of it that will be available February 22nd thru March 7th (I advice you all to give those a shot!).

I ended up going 2-1 in the swiss here, losing the first round to a really good deck in esper colors displaying several Hollowhenge Spirits, a Drogskol Captain and a Havengul Lich (who, in game two, ended up bringing my Drogskol Reaver back - it was epic, even if I was at the retrieving end of it!).

I don't recall a lot from my second match, my deck came really well together and just really squished my opponent, but my third match was really interesting - my opponent was in R/G, playing wolves/werewolves with at least two Immerwolves (he had both out at the same time in game two!), which made me bring in the Wolfhunter's Quiver (which sadly got eaten by a Crushing Vines). I had won the first game but was on the defensive the whole game two until I could flash back Lingering Souls and keep my opponent at bay for long enough to play my Reaver. It stuck and took over the game, which means I ended up winning the match 2-0.

What do you guys think? Did I make the right choices in the draft? Would you have built the deck otherwise?

(I already gave Lobster a hard time about doing a pre-release draft... you don't need to)


http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=338nq


Cheers,
Lobster667.

2 comments:

  1. P2P9 - Hard for me to say anything up to this point... cuz this is the first trip draft I've looked at, but I definitely pick the Beast here. Simply because it's probably more useful for signaling. Is the curse worth cutting?
    P2P11 - I don't have your picks in front of me, but remember bears were good in ISD! Maybe they aren't as good in DKA, but I would have taken the Dryad.
    P2P12 - Yeah, at this point I take the Skaab.

    My feeling is that Strangleroot Geist is really good, and I probably would have tried to play him. He's an undying dude who can block, so his chances of 2 for 1ing are much higher. It's also weird to me to play 5 forests when you need to hit forests for your fixing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P2P9: There was no chance I'd play the beast (I already had four 5-drops in green). I don't know if the curse is that dangerous but I'd definitely feel stupid if I lost to a card I could hate at no cost.

    P2P11: I agree on the bears, but I think I've got a bucketful of better 2-drops already and decided for a sideboard card that would be of more use in the games where it came in instad of a run-of-the-mill bear.

    P2P12: The Skaab is pretty bad, I feel. It's okay in 3xDKA but it's really bad in DKA/ISD/ISD as far as I can tell. Not worth hating over something I might play (I did side into triple Vines in one match!).

    On the manabase: I never had problems getting my colours, and triple Loyal Cathar means I can't really play fewer than 10 plains, I felt.

    ReplyDelete