Monday, November 5, 2012

Acidrakken's RTR Draft #1

  Pack 1 pick 1:

  My Pick:

See the rest after the jump!



Not a lot of amazing cards here. Launch Party is, of course, removal but you often two-for-one yourself. I'll take the Chemister, repeatable cheap card draw seems good, right?   Pack 1 pick 2:

  My Pick:
This pack is full of removal. Another Launch Party, Avenging Arrow, Trostani's Judgement. Not much here to follow up the Chemister, but I think I'm fine with UWr and/or URw. Judgement is the least clunky of the removal here, but pricey. If I were grabbing a creature, I think it's (in a vacuum) Mangler over Hussar over Reveler, but unless we're already abandoning our first pick, Mangler moves to the bottom of that list here.

  Pack 1 pick 3:

  My Pick:
There's a few things here, Nivmagus elemental might fight into the Izzet base deck I'm expecting to draft, but I think it's lacking. Most of the time it's a 1/2 for 1, right? I want to include instants/sorceries that do something, not that sit in my hand waiting for me to draw the elemental. Anyhow, Keening Apparition does some work, we picked Silverchase Foxes this high, right? I guess this puts me at a point where I'm straddling blue, gonna have to see what the rest of the packs bring.

  Pack 1 pick 4:

  My Pick:
Inspiration's okay, Foil Rest in Peace seems cute, but not sure if it's worth any tickets. Augur Spree kills stuff dead, though. And pick 4 feels kinda late for it. A Rak gate or two makes this a nearly painless splash, especially since the cards you want to see in Azorius or Izzet aren't coming 'round.

  Pack 1 pick 5:

  My Pick:
Minotaur is powerful, but 7 is a lot of mana. Not sure how I feel about the weird, maybe just should have taken and tried it. Batterhorn might have been the pick, but I just said I needed one or two of these gates.

  Pack 1 pick 6:

  My Pick:
Think I may have punted this pick - I'm still thinking solidly in blue, but probably should have taken the Cobblebrute. Thoughts?

  Pack 1 pick 7:

  My Pick:
Pretty sure that Launch Party is the best card left in this pack that I might actually use.

  Pack 1 pick 8:

  My Pick:
Traitorous Instinct is again probably best card here. Starting to look a lot like I'm going Rakdos again. (Cannot seem to draft any other guild despite my best intentions. I'm seriously 4 Rakdos out of 4 drafts.)

  Pack 1 pick 9:

  My Pick:
Tenement Crasher does some work, Skull Rend is probably next best card, but 5 is probably too much to pay to shock + Hymn to Tourach one person. Probably is a lot better multiplayer.

  Pack 1 pick 10:

  My Pick:
Launch Party is coming around kind of late, not accustomed to it tabling. I'll snag it here. Rakdos charm seems kind of underwhelming.

  Pack 1 pick 11:

  My Pick:
Archweaver seems quite late, but I'm so far out of green it's not even funny. I'm not the world's biggest fan of the lizard, but the loot has come in handy before, and it blocks a 2T dude just fine.

  Pack 1 pick 12:

  My Pick:
Meh? Pretty sure I'm just splashing blue now, and don't like this as a splash.

  Pack 1 pick 13:

  My Pick:
Probably unplayable, but I do have a couple of launch parties, so the extra body seems like value.

  Pack 1 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 15:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 1:

  My Pick:
Maybe Stab Wound is the pick here? Imps seem like a rapid closer, especially with trample, and can be a stabilization play in a pinch.

  Pack 2 pick 2:

  My Pick:
This card is a solid bomb, in my opinion. It's splashable, so I might be abandoning the blue if the cards fall out that way. Also, there's nothing here that suits my main colors.

  Pack 2 pick 3:

  My Pick:
I know hate-drafting is wrong, but I'm doing it anyhow. V-G Guildmage can just take over a game if you don't have removal to hand (and I usually don't draw it.) If I were taking a playable, it's probably Golgari Longlegs.

  Pack 2 pick 4:

  My Pick:
It's a five-drop that's fine. I hate passing solid removal, but I just have to hope to have more threats than they can remove. Next best is probably tenement crasher for this deck, but I'm doing fine on high-cmc stuff, need to grab some dudes lower on the curve (he says, picking a five-drop).

  Pack 2 pick 5:

  My Pick:
This is the kind of card I need to be seeing. Just wish he wasn't sitting right next to the Splatter Thug, because that is also the kind of card I need to be drafting.

  Pack 2 pick 6:

  My Pick:
Trestle Troll would be solid if I knew for sure I was going to be dipping into green. Dark Revenant isn't the worst with the Launch Party, but 8 mana to make it a one-for-one(ish - the draw step isn't irrelevant either) isn't quite where I want to be. Pithing Needle can come in out of the board to shut down planeswalkers or the more powerful guildmages (VG, RM).

  Pack 2 pick 7:

  My Pick:
Little unleash guy who can alternate as an endless blocker if the situation demands it. I'll take it.

  Pack 2 pick 8:

  My Pick:
I'm playing him as RR, most likely, but even then he's not the worst, and can potentially do some trading up later with a mana investment. I like the ringleader too, but I feel like being lower on the curve is worth something.

  Pack 2 pick 9:

  My Pick:
Don't feel real strongly about this pick, still waffling green splash vs blue splash. Maybe keyrune just to accelerate mana? Think there's other things I'd rather do with three mana, though.

  Pack 2 pick 10:

  My Pick:
In retrospect, this pick probably should have been keyrune, but I was leaning away from the blue splash by now.

  Pack 2 pick 11:

  My Pick:
Nothing here grabs me. This little guy is a one drop, probably won't play him though.

  Pack 2 pick 12:

  My Pick:
Seems kind of late for a Crasher, but they're pretty common. I'll take it just in case.

  Pack 2 pick 13:

  My Pick:
None of it is great, but vermin has a little synergy with launch party.

  Pack 2 pick 14:

  My Pick:
A fatty with 2P is not what I want, honestly.

  Pack 2 pick 15:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 1:

  My Pick:
Of course. This pack is stacked something stupid with cards I want. Reveler, Ragemutt, Stab Wound, Splatter Thug. Sigh... Taking the Desecration Demon again. He has the potential to take over a game like none of the others - although he's got his own set of weaknesses. Like Azorius.

  Pack 3 pick 2:

  My Pick:
I want the roustabout, and lol-troll might fit into the green splash, but I can't pass another stab wound. It's the Dead Weight that keeps on giving.

  Pack 3 pick 3:

  My Pick:
Slum Reaper isn't quite Fleshbag Marauder, though it's fine. Traitorous or Daggerdrome might be takable, but I'll use an early 3rd pack pick on more fixing.

  Pack 3 pick 4:

  My Pick:
3 drop that fits into my guild. I might yet get the cards I need to make Rakdos work. Perilous shadow is a weak runner-up for the pick here.

  Pack 3 pick 5:

  My Pick:
This one made me tank for a bit, I kinda like the jailbreaker too. However, if I'm gonna do Rakdos aggro, I'm gonna try and do it right.

  Pack 3 pick 6:

  My Pick:
Pretty sure thug over reveler, right? Cobblebrute's not the worst here either.

  Pack 3 pick 7:

  My Pick:
Another hasty two-drop. I might get there after all. Volatile rig is just bad, right? Or is it good because people get scared to block it and wipe their own teams?

  Pack 3 pick 8:

  My Pick:
Cantrip against golgari. Probably not maindecking, really don't want another loot-lizard.

  Pack 3 pick 9:

  My Pick:
Both my three drops wheeled, surprising in its own right. I usually expect to get none back in a case like that.

  Pack 3 pick 10:

  My Pick:
He doesn't have reach, but would be fine in the green splash, and nothing else looks worth taking here.

  Pack 3 pick 11:

  My Pick:
Traitorous is the best of the pack, and it does the sort of stuff I want to be doing in this deck.

  Pack 3 pick 12:

  My Pick:
Might play a second drainpipe if it comes down to it. Maybe should have cut the herald instead?

  Pack 3 pick 13:

  My Pick:
A little late for fixing, but picking this up locks in the blue splash for me, especially as I was unable to pick up any of the GB gates.

  Pack 3 pick 14:

  My Pick:
Squeek.

  Pack 3 pick 15:

  My Pick:


This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.
Visit the draft converter today!



Did this draft this morning, my fourth foray into RTR drafting.  Has been frustrating thus far, as my results have been 0-3, 0-3, 1-2, and this draft was 2-1.  Not sure what it takes to lose the match where you had t2 pack rat twice, but there you go - never saw him in any of the other matches that draft.
Anyhow, I keep ending up in Rakdos, mainly because I keep getting passed reasonable stuff for that, and never any of the Selesnya stuff I'd like.

Round 1 - not even sure what happened here.  Guessing the guy kept some very loose hands, because G1 I saw a plains and a forest out of him, and G2 I saw 3 plains, 2 forests and no other cards.  WIN.

Round 2 - Bad beats here, the Rakdos aggro deck doesn't handle it well when the Selesnya player goes t2 Centaur Token, and then backs it up with populate cards every turn thereafter.  In my experience, Rakdos only beats Selesnya when it gets a very aggressive start, and the Selesnya deck stumbles a bit.  Drawing some of my removal would have likely changed this thrashing.

Round 3 - Villain actually put up a fight here, but I ran good.  Swinging for 3 on turn 2, and five on turn 3 is good, especially when villain hasn't put a board together yet.  Went 2-1 against this guy, Traitorous Instinct on both sides sealed some games, and I managed to get him twice even though he seemed to be pulling endless removal.

So, my best turnout yet in this format, would really like to be able to draft something other than Rakdos with various splashes.

No comments:

Post a Comment