Sunday, August 26, 2012

cjm_mtgo's AVR draft #1

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=3djrt


As I put in the RareDraft description, I'm trying to separate out draft pick errors versus poor play to figure out which part I need to work on most.  If your users can help me analyze the draft portion, that will help greatly.



I went 1-2; won the 1st round, lost the 2nd round to a fast W/R deck (he ended up winning the tourney), and lost the 3rd round to another W/R deck.  The 3rd round was closer.  I felt I played very tight, and my opponent misplayed a lot (wasn't playing aggressively even though he had the advantage).  I stabilized at 1 life in game 2, using Captain of the Mist primarily to keep his attackers tapped down for 5+ turns.  I could have won but neglected to attack with one of my creatures and lost (major punt).  I always ended up siding out the Vorstclaw for my second Abundant Growth.  In most of the games, I felt mana flooded, so in the 3rd round I cut down to 16 lands.

1 comment:

  1. I had comments and questions for many of the picks on the raredraft site, but here are my specific questions:

    Picks:
    1) P2P4, should I have taken the Fervent Cathar here? I think I had the mindset to try forcing Blue. This was probably a turning point of the draft.

    2) P3P2, should I have taken the Wingcrafter here if I'm really forcing Blue (i.e., since I took the Tandem Lookout)?

    3) P3P3, do you think that the Angel's Tomb was the better choice here considering the number of creatures I had?

    Deckbuilding:
    4) Should I have splashed red for the 2x Guise of Fire removal spells? I think I had enough fixing.

    5) With my curve and the 2x Abundant Growth, should I have started with 16 lands?

    Looking for constructive criticism/advice... thanks!

    ReplyDelete